Report Abuse

Egg Muffins (3 Ways) | healthy breakfast meal prep recipe

Egg Muffins 3 Ways healthy breakfast meal prep recipe

I hope you guys are ready to kick off the new year with healthy food because I've got a ton of delicious new recipes for you. I definitely indulged in a wee bit too much chocolate over the holidays, which is fine, it's the holidays. 

But I'm excited to feel lighter, and more energized with healthy ingredients, meal prep, and of course, more vegetables. So, combining all of that, today I'll show how you how to make one of my favorite meal prep breakfast recipes, and that's egg muffins. 

Egg muffins are these cute mini frittatas that are filling, super versatile with different vegetables and protein, and they're perfect if you're following a low-carb, Keto, or Paleo diet. They're also Whole30 if you omit the cheese, so perfect if you're doing a January Whole 30.

If you're new to my channel, just a quick reminder that you can find the printable version of every recipe you see here on my website, along with more helpful tips. All right, without further ado, let me show you how to make these egg muffins. 

You'll start by cracking 12 eggs into a large measuring cup. I do recommend using a four-cup measuring cup versus a bowl because then it's easy to pour the egg mixture into the muffin pan without spilling or making a mess.

Add some salt and pepper to the eggs, and then whisk them until they're light and fluffy. This is the simple egg base, and then you can add a variety of vegetables, meats, cheese, herbs, and spices to jazz them up. 

Today I'll share three flavors with you including spinach, tomato, and goat cheese, kale, sausage, and Parmesan, and broccoli, bacon, and cheddar. But I also wanna remind you about a previous egg muffin recipe I have on my website, and that's my zucchini and prosciutto wrapped egg muffins.

So, you've got lots of flavor options. To get started with the broccoli, bacon, and cheddar egg muffins, fill a pot with about an inch of water. We'll steam our broccoli so it's crisp tender before adding to the egg mixture. 

But, if you wanted to simplify this step, you could use frozen broccoli that you've thawed as well. Slice the broccoli florets off from the stem, and then cut them into smaller pieces. You'll need about four cups worth, and I have a little extra today as I had a large head of broccoli, so I'll just steam it all, and then save the extra broccoli for dinner. 

Insert a steamer basket into your pot and add the broccoli. Place the lid on the pot, and steam it for about five to six minutes, or until it's tender, but definitely not mushy. While the broccoli is steaming, slice three pieces of bacon into half inch thick strips. Add this to a small pan, and let it cook for a couple of minutes until it's crispy, then remove it to a paper towel to cool and drain any excess grease.

Your broccoli should now be done, so remove that from the pot, and just set it off to the side to cool. Grate about one cup of cheddar cheese, and I prefer sharp cheddar cheese for a stronger flavor. And lastly, slice up about a quarter cup of chives. 

Your broccoli should be cool now, so slice it into bite sized pieces. I should also mention that I'm giving you quantities to make 12 egg muffins of the same flavor. But you can also reduce these quantities, and then mix and match the flavors for variety.

So, I'll set those ingredients to the side for now, and then show you the next flavor combination which is sausage, kale, and Parmesan. Add a half a pound of Italian sausage to a saute pan on medium heat and use a spatula to break it up.

While the sausage is cooking, remove the kale leaves from the stem. You can do this by just sliding your hands right down the stem. And, in terms of quantity, you'll want a large bunch of kale which is about three packed cups worth.

So, once you've got all your leaves, use a large knife to roughly chop the kale. For anyone who thinks kale is bitter, I can assure you that it's not in this recipe once we saute it. And don't worry, while this looks like a lot of kale, it really wilts down. 

Next, slice and dice one shallot, and if you don't have a shallot, you could use about a third cup of diced yellow onion, and add one minced clove of garlic. So, now that the sausage is nice and browned, add the chopped kale and shallot.

Give it a stir and let it wilt down, which should take about two to three minutes. the last ingredient in this flavor combination is fresh Parmesan cheese, so great about a cups worth. For our final flavor, we'll start with about 24 grape tomatoes, and slice them in half. 

You could also use cherry tomatoes, and if they're larger, you could just use less of them, and slice them into quarters. Then, slice up one green onion, and we'll use both the green and white parts. And, measure out about one packed cup of baby spinach.

Roughly chop the baby spinach, and then that's it when it comes to preparing this last flavor. If you watched my recent cookware video, you know that I'm not a fan of non-stick cookware, but most of my bake ware is still metal non-stick. Because I don't bake every day, 

I'm less concerned with it than I am with my cookware, but I recently found these ceramic muffin pans online, so I thought it was the perfect time for an upgrade. And, while they're not non-stick per se, it's like cooking in a ceramic casserole dish, so as long as you grease the pan properly, you're good to go.

You can use any oil or non-stick spray, and my favorite, of course, is avocado oil. If you have the spray, you can just spray a little bit into each muffin section and use a paper towel to make sure it's fully coated. Or you can drizzle a little avocado oil, (chuckles) and that was more than a little, but then use that to coat the inside of the muffin pan as well. So, let's add some of these fillings.

In the first one, I'm adding a whole bunch a broccoli, and you can see that I really fill them full. I'll also add a few pieces of bacon and some cheddar cheese. Then, I just have to pour a little bit of the beaten egg, and try not to spill, until it's pretty much full. 

You could also fill the muffin pan about half full with the egg mixture first, and then add the toppings. It's completely up to you. The next flavor is our sausage, kale, and Parmesan, so I'll add a couple tablespoons of the sausage, kale mix, top it with the Parmesan, and then fill it the rest of the way with the egg mixture.

For our last flavor, I'll fill the muffin pan with spinach, add some tomato and green onion, and crumble some soft goat cheese on top, before filling with the egg. Once your muffin pan is filled up with which ever flavor you choose, it's time to pop it in a pre-heated, 350-degree Fahrenheit oven for 20 to 25 minutes. 

The muffins will expand a bit while cooking, but they'll also deflate back down once cooled. So, if you see them puff up a bit, you don't need to worry. Remove the egg muffins from the oven and admire your tasty meal-prep breakfast that will certainly save you time in the mornings.

Let these cool for a couple of minutes, and then run a knife around the outer edge to unstick them. You can store the egg muffins in a sealed container in the fridge for up to three days, or in the freezer for up to three months. I hope you guys enjoyed this article, and I will see you again in the next article. 

Related Posts

Post a Comment